FAQ: How To Remove The Ignition Switch 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide?
- 1 How do you check a ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
- 2 How do you change an ignition switch on a motorcycle?
- 3 Do I need to disconnect battery to change ignition switch?
- 4 What causes ignition switch failure?
- 5 How do you remove a Harley Davidson ignition without the key?
- 6 How do you reset the ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
- 7 What is connected to the ignition switch?
- 8 How do you drill out a motorcycle ignition?
- 9 What color is the ignition switch wire?
How do you check a ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
Remove the dash and turn it upside down and take a look at the switch. Is the harness plugged into the switch? it’s a 3 wire connector. Test for voltage at the red wire, it should read battery volts.
How do you change an ignition switch on a motorcycle?
Just be sure to check your owner’s manual for any additional information you might need.
- Step 1 – Position the Motorcycle.
- Step 2 – Disconnect the Battery.
- Step 3 – Loosen the Pinch Bolts.
- Step 4 – Remove the Damper.
- Step 5 – Remove the Triple Tree.
- Step 6 – Remove the Ignition Switch.
Do I need to disconnect battery to change ignition switch?
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery. You don’t need to remove the positive cable from its terminal. Tuck the negative cable to the side of the battery to make sure it doesn’t accidentally come into contact with the terminals.
What causes ignition switch failure?
Worn switch contacts, temperature problems, or broken springs; can all cause the ignition switch to fail, preventing you from starting your car. On the road, poor ignition switch contacts could shut the engine off while driving, which could be dangerous.
How do you remove a Harley Davidson ignition without the key?
Locate the small release tab and depress it while turning and pulling up on the lock. Supposed to have the lock turned all the way left but that tab is the latch that keeps the lock secured. Depress that tab and see what happens.
How do you reset the ignition switch on a Harley Davidson?
Harley Davidson Touring: How to Reset Your ECM
- Step 1 – Turn run switch on. Before you start the reset procedure, be sure your run/stop switch is turned on.
- Step 2 – Turn ignition on and off. With the run/stop switch on, turn the ignition on and then off three times.
- Step 3 – Turn run switch off.
What is connected to the ignition switch?
The ignition switch itself is connected to the ignition cylinder by a shaft or lever. Inside the ignition switch, several contacts connect vital electrical systems needed to start and run the car.
How do you drill out a motorcycle ignition?
How to Drill Out Ignition Lock Cylinders
- Test fit a drill bit in the lock cylinder.
- Lock the drill bit into the drill chuck and tighten the chuck.
- Drill a starter groove into the lock cylinder.
- Increase the drill speed to the highest setting and drill out the lock cylinder.
What color is the ignition switch wire?
What color is the ignition switch wire for radio? The red wire is the important one, and it is the ignition wire.